We are delighted that UpRising Alum, Nahim Ahmed, who completed the London Leadership Programme in 2015, has been recognised in the Queen's Birthday Honours and has been awarded an MBE for his work with disadvantaged young people in Tower Hamlets.
We are so proud of Nahim's achievements! We asked Nahim to share a bit more with us about his career journey, the impact UpRising had on him and what he is up to now.
Congratulations on this huge achievement Nahim! How does it feel to be recognised for your amazing work?
- I feel so humbled to receive this honour. To get this level of recognition - I am just lost for words! I have been on a mission to transform the lives of disadvantaged and disengaged young people through the art of story-telling. I use my personal, academic and professional experiences to connect with thousands of young people.
Tell us a little about yourself
- Over the past decade, I have been working both in the private and voluntary sectors to help people from disadvantaged backgrounds with their development. I have completed my undergraduate and postgraduate studies around Law, Community Leadership, Youth and Community work. I currently work as a Youth and Community Engagement Manager for an award winning social housing provider – Poplar HARCA.
What were you doing before UpRising?
- Before Uprising, I was working in the private sector and volunteered in different roles with various youth organisations. I always saw myself from a young age working in the youth and community work setting however, didn’t really know how it may turn out – with all the funding cuts, it can put you off.
How did UpRising impact you?
- I joined Uprising in 2015 and It made me realise that working in the private sector is not for me; it opened up a new world for me where I saw myself working in a more grassroots environment whereby I can connect with hundreds if not thousands of young people. I made the most out of the workshops and networking events in the UpRising Leadership Programme and it gave me the tools I needed to help me make the most important decision in shaping my career.
What changed after graduating from UpRising? Did it help you on your journey to where you are now?
- Absolutely! I met many inspiring people through the workshops and networking events - It raised my confidence levels as I saw likeminded professionals doing good for the community and doing what they are passionate about. Having meaningful conversations with them made me realise that I can do much more.